Taymer Mason – Last Summer Beach Party
Saturday September 9, 4:00 pm to 5:00 pm | Lakeside Terrace | Cooking Demo
Vegan “Fish” Taco, Summer Mocktails and Tropical Ice Cream: Say goodbye to the summer island style with vegan fish tacos made with the tropical fruit soursop. Curry mayo and tantalizing mango chow. Tamarind mocktails and pineapple mango ice cream.
LAST SUMMER’s crispy fried soursop (Serves 6)
1Tablespoon pink or sea salt
1 medium green (unripe)soursop, sliced into 2*5 inch (5*13 cm) pieces, seed removed
½ cup (100) bajan Seasoning
1 teaspoon neutral-flavored oil, plus 1 cup for frying
2 cups (250g) gluten free flour
2 nori sheets, toasted and crumbled
1tablespoon onion powder
1 tablespoon seasoning salt
1 teaspoon black pepper
½ teaspoon baking powder
3 tablespoon minced fresh herbs (try a mixture of thyme, parsley, and marjoram)
2 green onions minced
Two 12 ounce (335 ml) water
- To make the soursop salt the soursop and let stand for 2 hours on the counter
- Rinse the soursop and pat dry. Season with Bajan Seasoning and 1 tablespoon of the oil. Leave to marinate overnight or for 1hour minimum.
- To Make batter, mix the flour, nori, onion powder, seasoning salt, pepper, baking powder, herbs, green onion and water. Mix well and allow to stand on the counter for 15 minutes before using.
- To fry the soursop heat 1 cup of oil in a small, heavy-bottomed saucepan over medium heat until hot, about 10 minutes.
- Dip the seasoned soursop in the batter and carefully place it in hot oil. Shallow-fry until golden brown, 4 to 6 minutes. The batter should puff up a bit. Fry two pieces at a time. Transfer the soursop to paper towel to drain.
Last Summer Mango Pineapple Ice Cream (Serves 4)
½ cup of cooked pineapple
1 ripe mango chopped
1 can full of coconut milk
½ cup plus 2tbs coconut oil
½ cup sugar
1tsp pink salt
1tsp Xanthan gum
1tbs date syrup (optional)
- Blend pineapple, mango, coconut milk, coconut oil, sugar and salt until smooth.
- Add gum and blend, stir in optional date syrup and freeze