Monique Koch – How to Make Vegan Life Practical for Families
Saturday September 9, 2:00 pm to 3:00 pm | Lakeside Terrace | Cooking Demo
After being vegetarian for 2 years, Monique Koch became vegan in 2010 to protest factory farming and protect the environment. With a husband and three sons, many may have worried that their family wouldn’t support the transition, but Koch brought her family along for the journey and it has been amazing for their health, the planet and animals.
Koch will be presenting a cooking demonstration on how to make vegan life a practical and simple option for families.
During Koch’s demo, Veg Food Fest attendees will be treated to easy vegan lunch/dinner ideas that are flavorful, filling and family-friendly. She will share how her own family went from fast food to healthy vegan meals, a few tips on how to transition into vegan life with a family, and detail meal planning tips and how to save money on ingredients. Koch takes a practical approach to vegan life because she has an understanding of how difficult it can be for families to transition together. Her goal is to give her audience the confidence to get started on a vegan journey with their family.
Visit her website for blog posts and a preview of some of her tips on the transition into veganism with a family, or check out her Youtube channel, Facebook, Instagram, or Twitter for more yummy vegan deliciousness that the whole family can enjoy.
Fire-Roasted Tomatoes and Chickpeas
by Brown Vegan
Prep Time: 5
Cook Time: 20
Ingredients (serves 4)
- 1 teaspoon oil or vegetable broth to saute
- (3) garlic cloves, minced
- (2) 15 oz can of fire-roasted tomatoes (drain the juice)
- 1 teaspoon cumin
- (2) 15 oz cans of chickpeas, drained & rinsed
- (1) 15 oz can coconut milk
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon black pepper
- To serve: rice & cilantro
- In a large rimmed skillet, saute garlic for 10 seconds on med-lo heat.
- Add in tomatoes (drain the juice) and cook for 5 minutes on medium heat.
- Mix in cumin and chickpeas.
- Cover and cook for 7 minutes, stirring occasionally.
- Shake the coconut milk can before opening.
- Stir in coconut milk, salt, and black pepper.
- Reduce heat and cook for another 5 minutes.
- Adjust seasoning, if necessary.
- The sauce should thicken as you allow it to sit (about 5 mins).
- Serve with rice and garnish with fresh cilantro.